Jump to Section Menu
Parker Poe traces its roots back to 1884, when it was founded by Heriot Clarkson, later a Justice of the North Carolina Supreme Court. By 1990, the Firm (then known as Parker, Poe, Thompson, Bernstein, Gage & Preston) had grown to more than 65 lawyers, and had one of North Carolina's most sophisticated general corporate and business practices, as well as strong practices in the areas of litigation, the environment, tax law, real estate and lending.
In 1990, the Firm merged with the 30-lawyer Raleigh firm of Adams, McCullough and Beard, which was founded in 1965 by Governor Terry Sanford and several other attorneys and which was recognized for its litigation, legislative and public finance practices.
In 1992, Parker Poe established an office in Spartanburg, South Carolina to serve existing business clients and to take advantage of the fast-growing upstate South Carolina business region. In 1996, the Firm also opened an office in Columbia, the capital of South Carolina, where it now conducts a general business and governmental relations practice. Parker Poe opened its third South Carolina office, in historic Charleston, in January 2004, which has more than doubled in size since its opening.
In 2005, the Firm created Parker Poe Consulting LLC through the acquisition of Governmental Consultants, a governmental relations firm in Columbia, South Carolina, as part of a continuing effort to create a network of superior governmental relations services in the Carolinas.
Today, Parker Poe has grown to more than 200 attorneys as we continue to meet the needs of clients across the Carolinas, the United States and the world.