William R. Thomas
Columbia Office Managing Partner
Will Thomas practices primarily in the area of health care law. He represents hospitals, health systems, physicians and other health related entities in a variety of administrative, regulatory and litigation concerns.
In 2002, Mr. Thomas took a brief leave of absence from private practice to serve a judicial clerkship with the Honorable Terry L. Wooten, United States District Judge for the District of South Carolina. Prior to attending law school, Mr. Thomas worked in hospital administration at a large academic medical center in Charleston, South Carolina. One of Mr. Thomas's primary responsibilities at the medical center was developing Certificate of Need applications for medical center capital projects, and bed and service additions.
While at the University of South Carolina, Mr. Thomas was the Articles Editor for the ABA Real Property, Probate and Trust Journal. Mr. Thomas received CALI Awards for his course work in Antitrust and Business Crimes while at USC Law School.
- Represents both governmental and for-profit rural and metropolitan hospitals throughout South Carolina, as well as radiation therapy centers, independent diagnostic treatment facilities, multispecialty practice groups, and individual primary care and specialty physicians
- Represents clients in Certificate of Need, Stark and anti-kickback analysis, fraud and abuse issues, false claims defense, HIPAA, medical staff issues, medical practice sales and acquisitions, analyzing, reviewing, and preparing a variety of health care contracts, hospital-physician contractual disputes, and day-to-day counsel concerning regulatory issues for hospital clients
- Practiced extensively in pharmaceutical drug litigation
- Order of the Wig and Robe
- Parker Poe Announces New Managing Partner in Columbia
April 8, 2013
- Parker Poe Names Eight New Partners
January 14, 2008
- Parker Poe Attorney Elected to Bar Executive Committee
December 19, 2006
- Richland County Bar Association
- South Carolina Defense Trial Attorneys Association
Member; Chair, Health Law Divison
- American Health Lawyers Association
- South Carolina Bar
Member, Health Law Section
Columbia1201 Main Street
Columbia, SC 29201