Certificate of Need
- Served as general counsel to a state association of health care providers with more than 600 members
- Obtained favorable decisions in contested CON cases before the South Carolina Department of Health and Environmental Control and the North Carolina Division of Facility Services
- Obtained favorable decisions from the North Carolina Court of Appeals and Supreme Court regarding the scope of certain development activities permissible under North Carolina's certificate of need law
- Counseled and guided clients through the application process for CONs, enabling them to expand their health care facilities, build new hospitals and acquire state-of-the-art technology. Successfully represented clients in CON-related administrative appeals.
- Successfully resolved religious discrimination lawsuit brought by Equal Employment Opportunity Commission against a hospice home care agency.
- Successfully resolved sexual harassment allegations brought against a doctor by a physician’s assistant.
- Defeated at the agency level age discrimination charges brought by a certified nursing assistant against a hospital.
- Successfully resolved disability discrimination case brought by a nurse against a physicians practice.
- Defeated in federal court the discrimination claims of a salesperson previously employed by a national provider of laboratory services.
Financing, including bond financing, HUD and private equity
- Represented the borrowing hospitals in connection with three separate FHA insured mortgage revenue bond transactions involving tax-exempt bonds in the total amount of $204,000,000
- Prepared and delivered a presentation on the Sarbanes-Oxley Act to a hospital governing board
Information Technology and Electronic Medical Records
- Represented the winning bidder in the state's largest information technology procurement involving a $171 million contract to replace and operate the state's Medicaid claims processing system and service the technology needs of several other state agencies
Mergers, Acquisitions and Joint Ventures
- Represented buyer of health services businesses in series of strategic "rollup" acquisitions
- Represented hospital system in series of physician practice acquisitions and related development of integrated health care system
- Represented constituents in physician practice merger transactions
- Represented both hospitals and physicians in various ambulatory surgery and other health services joint ventures
- Represented a nonprofit hospital system in connection with a “virtual” merger with a hospital authority, pursuant a joint operating agreement
Reimbursement, including Medicare, Medicaid, and Tricare
- Enjoined program changes announced by the state's Medicaid agency that would have seriously affected industry providers
Tax Exempt Hospitals and Health Systems
- Obtained a letter ruling for a public, nonprofit hospital that it is not subject to the Form 990 filing requirements