We offer state, regional and local public transit agencies a variety of legal services, including:
- Providing complete perspectives and approaches to transit-oriented real estate development, utilizing creative financing tools and facilitating public/private partnerships to leverage private investment with public funds.
- Representing transit agencies in the acquisition of real property and rights-of-way by negotiation and, when necessary, condemnation. We negotiate with railroads, public utilities and municipalities for the shared use of rights-of-way, the relocation of utility facilities and other public infrastructure and the improvement or elimination of grade crossings.
- Conducting title examinations on railroad corridors throughout North Carolina and advising clients on railroad corridor preservation initiatives.
Procurement and Construction
- Counseling clients on all aspects of state and federal procurement requirements for equipment and services, including preparing requests for proposals, litigating bid disputes and interpreting licensing standards.
- Preparing and negotiating a variety of contracts for planning, engineering and construction services, and representing transit agencies in the acquisition of equipment and warranty and insurance claims.
Lobbying & Regulatory Compliance
- Leading lobbying efforts locally, regionally and statewide on matters involving transit law and policy issues, including initiatives to implement special use taxes for transit purposes and limiting the liability of transit agencies.
- Advising transit agencies on compliance with state and federal regulatory requirements relating to issues such as funding, public financing, safety and drug-testing standards.
- Helping our transit clients minimize liability under state and federal environmental statutes and regulations.
- Providing governing transit boards with guidance on public meetings and public records laws, organizational and management issues, conflicts of interest and sovereign immunity.
- Advising our clients on employment and personnel issues involving hiring's, firings and promotions, restrictive covenants, employment discrimination, sexual harassment, workers compensation, Employment Security Commission disputes, Americans with Disabilities Act issues, employee handbooks and policy and procedure manuals.
- Counseling clients on tax matters, including public finance tax issues and issues regarding the implementation and use of taxing authority granted to public transit agencies.