Practices & Industries
Parker Poe attorneys provide counseling and other legal services in matters involving privacy, security, benefits and electronic data exchange from the viewpoints of health plans, health care providers and related businesses.
The Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) includes numerous provisions affecting health plans, health providers, insurers and businesses in the health care field. Attorneys from our employee benefits, health care, employment and corporate practice areas are well-versed in these areas and assist clients in meeting the demands of privacy, security, benefits and electronic data exchange.
We are actively involved in working with clients and speaking and writing on topics such as:
- Compliance with HIPAA's privacy requirements as they affect health care information, including preparing employee and patient notices, plan policies and procedures, plan amendments and authorization and other forms
- Consultation with clients regarding privacy training for workers
- HIPAA's portability and accessibility rules impacting health plans
- Review and preparation of business associate contracts and related review of third-party administrator contracts
- HIPAA's interface with workers' compensation, Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and other state and federal laws
- Compliance with electronic data interchange (EDI) rules, transactions and code sets standards and other data and security requirements
- Gramm-Leach-Bliley and other privacy/security legislation